Friday 6 December 2013

Crimping


Lottie, Hair&Postiche, Week 7, 13/11/13

Crimping for contemporary Elizabethan project

Products used:

·         Gown

·         Fine Tooth Comb

·         Crimpers

·         Clips

·         Prop

·         Grips

Steps:

1.      Place gown around client and make sure that they are sitting comfy

2.      Section hair in to clean sections, this allows for easier crimping

3.      You don’t need to put any products on the hair for crimping as you want volume and texture, adding products will stop this from happening

4.      Take a medium sized section and comb through

5.      Take your crimping irons up to the hair line near the scalp and press down, if you are worried about burning your clients scalp you can put your comb close to their head which acts as a barrier between the scalp and the irons

6.      Make sure that the client is happy and be careful not to burn ears! Letting your client know what you are doing as you are working will put them at ease!

7.      Each time you bring the irons to the clients scalp just check that the heat is ok

8.      Don’t panic when you see steam, this is normal

9.      Crimping the hair will give the hair shape and lift

10.  Brushing the hair after you have crimped it will give it texture

11.  If the client has fine or damaged hair don’t leave the crimping irons on for too long

12.  Thicker hair may need more heat so leave on for longer

13.  Work upwards

14.  When you are at the top of the head, hold the section upwards, this allows you to get really close to the route, this will create lift and texture

15.  When you take the crimper off the hair and move to next bit, make sure you don’t leave a gap between each crimp…

16.  Let the hair cool down and then gently comb through to get rid of any lines you have created by crimping

17.  Don’t comb the hair too much!

18.  The more you comb the crimped hair the bigger it will become

19.  Try and achieve the hair going outwards at an angle

20.  Take your prop and role it in to the hair by lifting the section of hair you want wrapped, start at the tips of the hair and role the prop in to it. Until you get to the scalp

21.  If you have created very big hair then use a bigger prop

22.  Use hair grips to secure the prop and hair in place

23.  Collect the hair with the grip, turn it away from the hair and then slide in

24.  If you don’t do it this way you will need a lot more pins, which will eventually work their way back out

25.  If the client has healthy hair put the crimping irons at a higher heat, if they have damaged hair put the crimping irons on a low heat

 

There are a few things I need to focus on when creating an Elizabethan hairstyle, I need to perfect using the grips so that I can get a really tight grip, and I also need to be more confident in manipulating the hair, I need to trust that I can do it! Today’s lesson went really well, I was happy with how my crimping went, in future I will create my own prop as the ones that have already been made don’t work as well. I also need to work a little faster so that I can get the whole hair style done in 1 hour. Over all I was happy with my shape and feel like I know where I am going with my hair design.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment